Dear Maddie: Stay!
For the last eight months, Idaho photographer Theron Humphrey has been traveling the country documenting awesome strangers as part of a project he calls This Wild Idea. But his companion on the trip, an English Coonhound named Maddie, has become something of a project of her own. Maddie is strangely fond — and meticulously obedient — when it comes to the “stay” command. Maddie will stay on a tree trunk, on top of a drip coffee maker, inside a giant tractor tire, inside a BBQ pit, balanced across a ledge — it’s like planking, but with Maddie, and many more positions. And so, five months into his trip, Humphrey started documenting Maddie herself under the aptly titled Maddie on Things. We asked Humphrey how he gets Maddie to stay so damn still.
What do you do when you’re not posing Maddie?
I’m a photographer most days, it’s what I went to school for and have fed myself with, but I’ve never really called myself one.
How would you describe Maddie’s temperament?
Maddie is a patient dog. I’d be at a friend’s house, and she would just stand in the middle of the living room. I figure most dogs would have laid down. It’s in her nature to stand still. But these days, she’s been trained on a “stay” command with food.
So, posing Maddie on, you know, a telephone pole. How do you pull this off?
None of them are very intense, or even high up really, except for one where she is up a half-cut-down tree. But the flat part on the tree was so big, she could have stood there all day. Most aren’t up very high … if you take an image from a slightly lower angle, it makes the world seem higher. She normally only stands still for 30 seconds, but I shot a video of my buddy playing a song, and she stood still for 2 minutes.
Is Maddie a genius? What’s she like when she’s not balancing on things?
Ha! This question made me laugh because I thought of Maddie sitting at a computer, with a tiny hat on, taking an online IQ test. But I’d say Maddie’s “nose” intelligence is high. She could track most anything.
- thekalendsofmarch reblogged this from thetissewearsprada
- thetissewearsprada reblogged this from meth-lab-rats
- meth-lab-rats reblogged this from paging-doctorfaggot
- cuddlesandrage likes this
- helpingpetsbehave reblogged this from fluffadventures
- happpiness-is-key reblogged this from leonmcgann
- dogtrainerbill likes this
- honeyiaintnothingnew reblogged this from swoonforme
- baadcompany likes this
- ssdrsv likes this
- mr-wrong reblogged this from majin-bruh and added:
- braetonnn reblogged this from storyboard and added:
- mirelesj95 likes this
- put-theblameon-me likes this
- putas-valencia likes this
- blueicees reblogged this from whatafuckinfamilypicture
- rockinginthedancehall reblogged this from storyboard
- saladflickerman reblogged this from heartwolf and added:
- fcknghlrs reblogged this from panickat123
- okuchi reblogged this from storyboard
- aksadsoul89 reblogged this from storyboard
- dont-worry-be-joyful reblogged this from not-your-average-becca
- itotallybumrobertplantshair likes this
- ataxie reblogged this from storyboard
- gustav likes this
- normanshapiro likes this
- blahjulie likes this
- xxreiofsunshinexx reblogged this from cwnerd12
- topherrocks reblogged this from kelseycuntt
- carolinavinader likes this
- navy-gal likes this
- believingoreo reblogged this from t0wel
- dr-professor-patrick reblogged this from handsomedogs
- dr-professor-patrick likes this
- onevogueowll likes this
- deratomphysiker reblogged this from the-life-in-my-years
- fizzlemutt reblogged this from storyboard
- t0wel reblogged this from fuckingoranges
- fuckingoranges reblogged this from dontbendascend
- a-scandal-in-bohemia reblogged this from handsomedogs
- a-scandal-in-bohemia likes this
- kissmycloaca reblogged this from handsomedogs
- deydre reblogged this from storyboard
- chiararizzolo likes this
- the-nyc-mind likes this
- liketheopensea reblogged this from notsuzy and added:
- notsuzy reblogged this from fit-inspiration
- dustiie likes this
- thegreatadventureahead reblogged this from storyboard